Thursday, June 20, 2013

Re-evaluating: Bod for God, Part 4

Spiritually: Isaiah 40:29-31 29 He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. 30 Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. 31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

Through faith, God will give me new strength. I know that is referring to spiritual strength, but I don’t think it is stretching Scripture to also trust the Lord for emotional and physical strength. If I’ve let my body do what it wanted to for a long time, understandably, it will take some time and God’s strength to bring it back to control. It will also take God’s strength to keep my flesh in control. The promise remains…I can be strong in the LORD rather than my own strength.

Mentally: So far, you have increased your understanding of interval training, core training, and antioxidants. Maybe you’ve been doing all or part of this plan and are seeing good improvement in habits. Nice! 

If you have begun to let it slide and have that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that says, “I’ll never be able to keep this up three months from now…” do this. Just back off in intensity for a day or two or a few days, even a week. 

I spoke one day to a very fit and healthy older person and asked him, “How long do you plan on working out like this?” I’ll never forget his reply, “Oh, I’ll never stop; this is a way of life for me.” The greatest challenge I face is to change my thinking to something like,“I’ll fight muscle atrophy and unhealthy fat storage on my body all my life one day at a time…” and then change my habits to match that ideal. 

When I back off of intensity and simply focus on the habit of getting myself regularly in an environment for some kind of exercise – even if it is just walking – I win the habit battle for that day. Nearly every time I do that my body takes over and says, “Oh well, we’re here, might as well work out…”  It really works! 

Here’s a little video that is well worth the 10 minutes it takes to watch. It is great encouragement to do the one thing most of us can all do a few times a week. This is low intensity and helps when you just don’t have it for the higher intensity interval training. 

There are many studies confirming that just walking one mile (or 30 minutes) a few times a week will prevent type 2 diabetes (58%); strengthen the heart, bones, joints and muscles; help your brain; reduce depression (47%) and cancer risk (18% for breast cancer alone).  If you’re still not convinced check this out…

Schedule:  If you are sore, knock off the high intensity regimen and walk 30 minutes 4 or 5 times this week.  Let your body recover but stay in the habit of doing some kind of exercise.

If you are not sore, then this week you might challenge yourself to try my 50s workout.  You can do it 2-4 times this week.  It is really simple.  It doesn’t matter what exercise you do or which machines you use, just do 50 reps with as little rest as you can manage. 

When I crossed 40 years of age, I noticed I kept hurting myself on heavier weights. Then I’d have to rehab for several weeks – sometimes several months. I finally figured out that I was going too heavy too fast. So, I increased my reps significantly. 
Now, my first rep on any machine is never less than 20. I only go up slightly for the next 10-15 reps. By then I’ve got plenty of blood flowing through that muscle group I’m working and can go heavier for the last 10-15 reps.  Remember, no rest, or at least minimal rest in-between. Your goal is 50 straight – not the conventional “3 sets” most people promote.

This regimen has not only prevented injury but has helped rehab previous injuries. Wish I’d figured this out a long time ago. Not only is it a safer workout than the standard “3 sets of 6-10 reps going heavier each time,” but – if you minimize rest through your 50 – will give you quite a bit of aerobic value in your workout. 

You can do 50s with machines or body weight exercises like pushups, pull ups, etc. There are so many machines and exercises. Just figure out what will isolate each muscle group without unnatural pain given your current strength, health, body type and injury status. I try to do 50s on all the muscle groups with as little rest between machines as possible. Don’t go more than 40-50 minutes or so.  Get in and get out so you’ll go tomorrow and keep building positive habits. 

Eating:  Alright, here’s the biggie. Conquering the hunger monster. There is one thing that has helped me more than anything in getting to and maintaining healthy body weight.  After organized sports were over for me in my 20s, I noticed the familiar tire developing around my waist. So I played more basketball. When I was 30, my knees couldn’t take recreational basketball any more, so I started running. I ate more, so I had to run more…ad infinity.  You know the story.

Eventually my knees and back didn’t like the running either. Then I went to machines. I was a regular hamster or gerbil constantly running on a wheel.  The more I ate the more I had to get on a machine to work it off. And, I was losing the battle – both mentally and physically.  “Ah, what’s the use?” I began to think. 

Then I found protein. I knew about protein from sports and body building but I didn’t include it strategically in my diet – on purpose. 

What I was doing was trying to fight hunger. Most diets are about eating less. Of course pushing away from the table is part of the equation.  However, if you really want to win this battle…eat reasonable amounts of quality protein before anything else. Then your desire for other not-so-good-for-you foods (cake, ice cream, bad breads, etc.) will significantly lessen.  And, those foods are the major cause of unwanted weight gains.

The rule of thumb is, “Don’t fight hunger – feed it with what your body is craving – high quality proteins.”  Then the hunger will not only subside but will stay away for much longer periods of time. 

My dentist got me on oatmeal in the morning.  Oatmeal – not the “quick oats” in paper bags – but the old fashioned Quaker Oats that your gut has to work hard to digest. That’s the oatmeal that has good protein and makes your body work to assimilate it. I prepare it with skim milk, honey and cinnamon. And, it is fast.  Microwaves cook it in 2 minutes, it cools for 3 minutes, and 5 minutes to eat it.  Elementary, but don’t overlook the benefits, which are mainly that you won’t get hungry until late morning or even noon – meaning, you just beat hunger for half the day! 

I also use green protein and whey protein. Green is better because it is plant protein, but I also like a scoop of chocolate protein in milk before or after a workout. If you’re like me when I get hungry, I’ll eat anything on the table and then want to chew on the table. So I’ve learned to think ahead to ward off ravaging hunger with protein. 

Protein is also found in high concentrations in many plants. People poke fun at “rabbit food” (salads, nuts, berries, and fruits), but I’ve yet to see a slow, overweight rabbit! Nuts, berries, lean meats, etc. are all great sources of great proteins and good kinds of fat.  I throw all that in my salads with raisins and some dressing with extra virgin olive oil (more omegas). 

Anyhow, you get the idea…feed hunger first with protein then eat other foods if you still need or want. Here is a great shake. Of course, modify it to suit your tastes and needs. There are reasons for each ingredient but you can look up the health benefits on your own if you’re interested…

6 - 8 ounces of skim milk (can do water but I don’t like it with just water.) 

5 tablespoons whey protein isolate.  I use this one.  5 lbs last me 6-10 months for about $50…

2 tablespoons natural apple cider vinegar with the mother (health food store, Wal-mart doesn’t carry this)

2 heaping tablespoons of yogurt

Couple sprinklings of cinnamon

1 tablespoon flaxseed oil (good fats packed with omegas!)

1 tablespoon safflower oil (good fats packed with omegas!)
2 tablespoons (or more) soy lecithin
1 teaspoon MSM powder (if I don’t have it already as a vitamin pill supplement)
1 teaspoon glutamine powder (If I’ve been working out)
Cup or more of frozen mixed fruit like blueberries, strawberries, etc. Find what you like. I love bananas but gag on this shake with banana for some reason. Frozen blueberries work the best for me.

Blend in a blender, but put the milk and frozen fruit in first so the powder doesn’t clog the blender. 

Report: I did not want to go workout this morning at all.  But just getting there seeing others work out stepped up my motivation, and I got in a good intense workout. Stepping back and taking time to review your goals one evening this week before you go to bed will also help to give you the motivation to continue toward progress.  Who have you given permission to to ask you about your habits? Have fun!

The information contained in this blog is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.


No comments:

Post a Comment